Thursday, May 21, 2009

Weight Loss Tip: Big Thing of Water

I'm not trying to lose weight. But I do like to drink Coke or Pepsi with meals, particularly dinners, and I know this is not particularly healthy. A close friend of mine was... and I don't think he'd mind I say this... "bulkier" back in high school. In fact, he ate fast food every day for lunch his senior year and lots of soda with those meals.

However, he also happens to be one of those individuals who has managed to lose weight and keep it off over a period of years. He shared a tip he practiced several years ago tonight that I think will never see the written word unless I put it down here: drink big things of water.

To stop his "Coke habit" (hmm... that sounds wrong) he decided during his junior year in college to get a big 32 oz. cup, fill it to the brim with water, and set it next to his every meal. This small gesture alone lead in the long run to him cutting soda out of his diet nearly completely, and I think significantly contributed to his weight loss.

It came up in a conversation about how very tiny but achievable goals sustained over long periods can sometimes have a much larger effect than gigantic goals sustained for short periods.

No comments:

Post a Comment